Historical background

Established in Geneva, the Louis-Jeantet Foundation commenced activities in 1983. Its history cannot be dissociated from the personality of its founder.

Having settled in Geneva since the mid 1930’s, Louis Jeantet, a French businessman with no direct heirs, decided to dedicate his fortune to biomedical research.

With the help and advice of some friends, he got down to drafting the articles of association of his future foundation, a task that occupied him for the last fifteen years of his life. The financier then nominated six men he deemed worthy of confidence – the six founding fathers – to set up his foundation posthumously.

Louis Jeantet has left both a financial and moral legacy to posterity. The Foundation endeavours to ensure the legacy is fully respected and that it bears the aspired fruit.

The founding fathers

Professor André Cruchaud then Head of the Immunology and Allergies Division at the Department of Medicine of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Geneva,

Dr. Edouard Hausser then Louis Jeantet’s physician,

Professor Alex F. Muller then Director of the Department of Medicine of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Geneva,

Mr. Marcel Odier then associate of Messrs. Lombard, Odier & Cie,

Mr. Yves Oltramare then associate of Messrs. Lombard, Odier & Cie,

Mr. Michel Pally then Louis Jeantet’s right-hand man.