Since 1987, the Faculty of Medicine has appointed nine Louis-Jeantet Professors, international leading experts in their fields.
An agreement between the University of Geneva and the Foundation governs the creation and funding of these positions. Louis-Jeantet Professors receive funding covering their academic salary, as well as the necessary infrastructure and staffing requirements.
The Louis-Jeantet Professors appointed since 1987 to date are:
- Antoine Flahault, global health (2014,ongoing),
- Andreas Kleinschmidt, clinical neurosciences (2012-2016),
- Emmanouil Dermitzakis, genetics of complex traits (2009-2014),
- Ariel Ruiz i Altaba, stem cells (2004-2008),
- Lars French, clinical neurosciences and dermatology (2003-2006), Prof. French is now pursuing his career at the University of Zurich,
- Karl-Heinz Krause, biology of ageing (2001-2005),
- Bernardino Fantini, medical history (1992-1995), now an honorary professor,
- Bernard Mach, molecular genetics (1991-1998), now an honorary professor,
- Philippe A. Halban, diabetics (1987-2001).